Sunday, July 31, 2011

First Attempt at Restaurant Eating Gluten Free

Today on our way home from the Lake House, we decided to stop for some dinner.  We usually stop along the 127 Highway in Jackson, Michigan, Michigan Avenue exit. 

Our typical stop has always been fast food.  Depending on our mood, McDonald's, Taco Bell or KFC are among our usually stops.  We had successfully survived a weekend outing at the lake with my husband's family and stayed 100% Gluten Free.  I didn't want to sabotage us now.  We are still working on being 100% at home, so this weekend was a great accomplishment for our family.  More on how we did a gluten free weekend in a later post.

We decided to stop at Bob Evans for dinner.  Not necessarily the most budget friendly restaurant, but not too overpriced.  Scanning the menu, my hubby was confused.  He doesn't cook or understand much about food preparation.  I basically reminded him that anything with gravy or bread was off the list of acceptable foods.   Our son hasn't been eating much, but loves fruit so we ordered him a glass of water and a strawberry smoothie to start.  This kept him satisfied until we could decided, order and be served.

My hubby wanted meatloaf.  At first, I agreed as long as he didn't get gravy on the potatoes.  Then I realized, duh! - meatloaf usually has bread crumbs or crackers in it.  So off the list it went.   He scanned the menu, naming foods as I reminded him of how they could have gluten.  I suggested a burger - just bun less.  He agreed.  He ordered a Three Cheese Burger, without the bun, with fries and applesauce.  I ordered the Grilled Chicken Breast dinner with Garlic Herb Sauce (concerned about possible gluten in the BBQ sauce), with a baked potato and glazed carrots.

When our meal arrived, we asked for an extra plate.  I shared half of one of the chicken breasts with my son as well as half of my carrots.  My hubby shared some of his applesauce.  This made a very appetizing and economical dinner for our son.  I even shared most of the second chicken breast with the hubby while I got to munch on his pickle slices and tomato slice from his burger.

We treated ourselves to a child size Smiley Face Hot Fudge Sundae.  Delicious and just enough for 3 to share without too much guilt.

In retrospect ..... on the travels home I discussed our meal with my husband.  He was wondering if there was gluten in the hot fudge sauce...I admitted that I would have to check on that.  I also admitted that we should have asked if the fries were cooked in a dedicated fryer or not.   Cross-contamination would have been possible as they serve many fried, breaded foods.

All in all, I think we had a great dinner, under $30 for 3 of us including soda (we try to order water to save the cost) and dessert.   Another adventure in our Frugally Gluten Free Family.  =)  

No comments:

Post a Comment